Thursday, 23 April 2009

I was born and raised in this area, Bodoe in the far north of Norway. High mountains, stormy ocean, lots of wind and pretty cold. But wonderful. I enjoy visiting as often as possible.

This is where I live now, Odense on the small island of Funen in Denmark. All flat, long beaches, warm summers and wonderful people.




Here I have my familiy - husband and kids, and I have lived here for almost 20 years....
But I feel my Norwegian bones, and sometimes I just crave and long for the mountains and cold seas of Norway.


8 comments:

Christo Gonzales said...

craving the cold - that is different - but I can see it if that is where you are from....

monica said...

doggy: I guess it's like what you say; when you have it you don't want it - when I lived there I wanted to leave, and now I don't live there...ah well.

Marjie said...

I've never seen pictures of Odense, where Grandpa Olaf's father came from. It's very pretty, but I understand wanting to go home, too!

Marjie said...

Oh, and you and Bundy can come for cake any time. We'll have meringue topped cake, so he doesn't eat too much sugar.

monica said...

marjie: thanks - you'll never know, all of a sudden we're at your doorstep... and feel free to come visit when you're over here ancestor-searching..:o)

Jocelyn said...

What's so interesting to me is that the feeling of missing a place that is in one's bones--even if one has never been to that place--is so strong in many Americans. I know I feel a resonance with Finland (where my grandpa was from)...the trees, the water...that plays out in my daily appreciations. There is some sort of heritage-ish memory of place.

Anette said...

Ah, det var en fin post! Norge savner nok deg også Monica!

My Taste Heaven said...

Oh, I am so jealous of your beautiful house!You have such a charming scenery!!!